December 3, 2011

I'm Not a Runner...but I want to be.

Next December (as in December 2012), I want to run in the St. Jude half marathon.

That sounds absolutely terrifying, but let me explain. Over the summer, I decided to train with the Couch 2 5K program and run in a local 5K, probably an easy feat for many. Greg agreed to do the same thing. I did both of those things, but I was disappointed in my lackluster commitment to the challenge.

For the first few weeks of the 9-week running program, I did great! I even went and bought new running shoes because my sore legs weren't helping. Around week four, Memphis had record-high temperatures, and the weather men were all, "Don't go outside. You'll probably die because the sun is literally touching down on Memphis soil," or something like that...Greg kept up his regular runs, but I didn't I mean the weathermen said not to, and who am I to argue WITH SCIENCE?

Well, the next week I got a summer cold and didn't have the energy to even consider running. By the time the next week rolled around, I was over it...didn't run again for about a month! And that was the day of the 5K I had signed us both up for! Needless to say, I wasn't pleased with my race performance. Greg did great, had no trouble, blah, blah, blah. (Love you, honey!) :-)

But today, which is the day of the annual St. Jude 5K, half marathon and marathon, I know many people who got up and RAN first thing in the morning. Me? I made waffles. They were delicious, but that's not the point. Soon, I'm SERIOUS about starting the Couch 2 5K program over again, running another 5K (with a better performance!) AND THEN continuing that training for a half marathon.

Wish me luck!

I can't help but agree with the chicken on the right...

No comments:

Post a Comment