September 5, 2012

Precious Girl and Her Nana

Since my Nana went to Heaven four months ago, I often find myself thinking or quietly saying, "Nana would love to see that," or "Nana would love this story," and most often it's about something Macey and Easton are doing. Last night something happened that was so sweet and so heartbreaking at the same time, I just can't stop thinking about it.

As I was driving the kids and myself to my parents' house, Macey said something funny, and it was one of those moments when I said, "Nana would love to hear that." Macey heard me, and I saw her face light up in the mirror, and she got real excited and said, "Mommy! Nana's going to be there? Nana's going to be there?!"

I lost my breath for a second, started tearing up and had to gently remind her, "No, sweetie, Nana won't be there." As my heart was literally crumbling (I could feel it), those are the only words I could get out.

I saw her face drop, and she quietly said, "Nana's all better?" If you remember, when we told her that Nana passed away, Macey really seemed to get the fact that even though we're so sad, Nana is all better in Heaven. "Yeah, baby," I said. "Nana's all better."

Then all I could do was hide behind my sunglasses and suck up the tears as she quietly whined, "Please, mommy, let me see Nana. I want to see Nana." Thankfully, I was able to get her happy and upbeat again as we pulled in the driveway, but that was just a reminder of how Nana made such an impact on everyone she knew--even the tiniest people.

Sorry if this sweet story made you cry, but it really helps me to write things down. I get that from my Nana.



No comments:

Post a Comment