November 20, 2012

YUM--Creamy Crockpot Italian Chicken

Yum, yum, yum!

So, I made this for dinner:

Can you see the steam? Piping hot yumminess!
I came across this recipe on The Girl Who Ate Everything's awesome website, and I was so excited to try it out. Oh her site, she said that everyone probably has this recipe, but it was new to me! Not only is it delicious, but it's super easy. Plus it kind of looks fancy, and who doesn't love fancy?

Ingredients
  • 4 thawed chicken breasts 
  • 1 packet of Zesty Italian Dressing dry mix (Didn't even know this existed. Seriously.)
  • 1 package (8 oz.) of cream cheese
  • 1-2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup (I made my own; recipe below.)
Put the chicken in the crock pot and sprinkle the Italian dressing mix on top. Combine the cream cheese and cream of chicken soup on low heat, then pour over chicken. Cook on low for at least 4 hours in the crock pot and voila! I let mine cook all day, and the chicken was so tender it just tore apart, which made it even easier to serve and eat. Serve the deliciousness over pasta. My personal favorite is whole grain angel hair pasta, but to each his own!

Now, about the condensed cream of chicken soup. I'm probably one of the pickiest grown ups you'll ever meet. I can't help it, but some things just don't taste good. Like olives for example. People who like those are lying. Anyway, I digress.

You know how when you buy cans of condensed cream of chicken soup it has those chunks of chicken in them? They always gross me out a little. Luckily, my friend at work (and her husband) are equally picky, so we share recipes and tips all the time! She told me they started making their cream of chicken soup from scratch for the same reason. I searched and Googled various versions, then came up with my own based on the different concoctions.

Ingredients for Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) of chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • A dash of paprika (No clue what a dash is. Good luck with that.)
  • 1 and 1/2 cup of milk
  • 3/4 cup of flour
In saucepan, bring broth and 1/2 cup of milk to a boil, then add in the seasonings. Stir and let them boil for a couple minutes. 

In a bowl, whisk together remaining milk and flour until it gets "gloopy" and thick. Pour that mixture into the saucepan and whisk away until it reaches the consistency you prefer!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment