February 3, 2014

Two Weeks

Today marks two weeks in the pediatric ICU with Hayden. I had some frustrations over the weekend just because as the weekend team of docs changed, I felt like we lost some communication in the shuffle, which led to less weaning off the ventilator. I suppose that happens sometimes though.

But that being said...today has been a good day! I feel like we're all on the same page, and moving toward getting my sweet boy off the vent this week. He's made such a huge improvement from this time two weeks ago, and I feel like we're soooooo close to getting the tube out.

Right now, we're mainly waiting on the CO2 to come down to an acceptable level. It's been coming down slowly but surely, and this week's lead doctor had a plan to help get that number down. He's tolerating the lowered rate settings on the vent, and they'll continue to lower the rate as long as his little body is OK with it. They've begun some of the little things they do when preparing for extubation--changing certain meds, different methods of feeding, etc.--so that's all pointing in the right direction.

I'm very, very confident that he'll do fabulously when he's off the vent. Of course, I have no medical credentials, but I am very happy with everything I can wrap my head around.

One thing is absolutely certain...hospitalization has NOT slowed down this kid's growth. He's gained a little more than a pound and at least an inch, but probably more. We just dressed him in a little 3-month outfit tonight...and it's almost too short!

No comments:

Post a Comment