August 9, 2011

Smoothie Time!

I think a certain husband of mine doesn't eat enough fruit, so lately I've been making smoothies for him in the morning. They're a hit! Macey LOVES having a little cup of her very own smoothie, too, and because she loves virtually all fruit, she's thrilled with whatever's in there.

I thought I'd pass along my latest concoction in case anyone else makes smoothies! By the way, I bought this small, blender from Target and got it on sale for $12! I've been using it for smoothies and to make Easton's baby food. It's awesome and cleans up really easily.

Fruit Smoothie Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup Dannon Light and Fit vanilla yogurt
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
  • About 1/4 cup of Welch's strawberry peach juice
Simple as that! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You can sneak veggies in too...add some cucumber, squash, celery or lettuce. You can cut down on processed food and sugar by just sticking with fruits/veggies and water. I always like to use a banana in my smoothies for that creamy texture. Peaches are really good and in season. To make it even easier, you can buy a bag of frozen pre-cut fruit from the freezer section. Google "green smoothie" and you can find tons of info on how good raw smoothies are for you. And you're right, cleans up really easily! Hey, how's the running coming? It's pretty much gotten way too hot to run outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, running is BAD! It's just gotten so hot, that I haven't been running like I should. Greg and I signed up for a 5K, so that's motivation!

    Sometimes I do sneak veggies in! It's worked well. Actually, I try to do that for myself because I hate veggies, haha. I like having some yogurt in there for the probiotics and other "good junk," but I do try to use a small amount to cut down on the sugar. :-) If you have any yummy recipes, be sure to pass them along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want probiotics and are feeling a little adventurous, see if you can find some kombucha. It's fermented tea. The taste takes a little getting used to, but it has a lot of good stuff in it. I buy a couple bottles whenever I take an antibiotic or feel a cold coming on. Here's some info (http://meghantelpnerblog.com/2010/04/26/kombucha-licious-part-1/). I think Memphis has a Whole Foods which should carry it.

    As for recipes, I don't really use them anymore. Just a couple handfuls of fruit, one of veggies and enough water to get the right consistency. Sometimes I add some coconut oil, flax oil or spirulina powder. Have you ever made gazpacho? I had some extra cucumbers the other day and made this: http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/2008/07/12/cucumber-gazpacho/. It was pretty tasty, especially during the summer.

    My 5K target date is Oct 1 but I haven't signed up yet...I suppose if I spent the money on it that would help with the motivation :)

    ReplyDelete