July 20, 2011

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

We love pizza at our house! Most of the time, I make my own pizza, but I usually just buy the Pillsbury pizza dough because it's quick, easy and yummy. I've been wanting to find a healthier crust option, so I tried this out tonight and it was very good (and pretty easy to put together)!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 package of active dry yeast
  • 3/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 cup of hot water
  • 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
  • I tablespoon of honey or sugar (I used raw honey and let it dissolve in the hot water before pouring it in the bowl.)
  • I also added about a tablespoon of flax seed meal, but that's up to you! 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. Blend in water, oil and honey. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed, about two or three minutes. Cover in plastic wrap and let rise to desired size.

After it's risen, place dough on greased pizza pan and press to cover the bottom of the pan. Add sauce and toppings of your choice, then let it bake for 15 to 20 minutes (or until crust is golden brown and toppings are done)! I let the dough cook for about 5 minutes, then added our toppings before letting it cook the final 10 minutes.

Before going into the oven for the last 10 minutes...
I forgot to take a picture before we started eating dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment